Saturday 2 November 2013

Lindisfarne

Our jaunt to Lindisfarne was dependant on two things - the weather and the tide.   Out of our holiday, we had two days that we could have driven over to Holy Island but, when the first day came around, we decided that the weather had beaten us.  We're not often to be put off, but, crikey, was it grim!   It wasn't too much better the second day, but we decided to chance it anyway.   It was jolly cold on the day and, sadly, I didn't get to go to the priory because we were running out of time before the tides would cut us off again.  I have been to the priory before and know that I'll go back again, so it wasn't the end of the world. 
We had a good walk out to the castle and the beach, but, if anything, it was even more blowy there!   The lovely National Trust lady took some photos of us - I think she was just keen to get away from the huge pile of compost she was turning - urgh!  
I had to have all my wits about me to make sure Finn didn't roll in any sheep poo - stupid dog!   We got so cold that we decided to head back into the village to find a coffee and, luckily, found a lovely sheltered tea garden for lunch.
So, no visit to Lindisfarne Priory this time, but we did find St Aidan's Winery, which we didn't manage to find the last time we were up here.   As I bought rather a lot more than I'd anticipated - seven bottles of fruit wine and mead! - we had no choice then but to get back to the car as I was struggling to carry it all!   (Quite a lot of the bottles were finished during the course of the holiday and I came back to Norwich with only three bottles.  Amanda had taken a few bottles of wine for the holiday and our lovely landlords had left us a bottle too.   I'm wondering if they thought we were alcoholics, with the amount of bottles we left out by the recycling bins - ah, who cares? It was a holiday after all!)

No comments:

Post a Comment