Thursday 28 August 2014

Creake Abbey

August is awash with family birthdays and, in an attempt to find somewhere different to source gifts, I had a jaunt up to Creake Abbey Studios to see what I could find.   Very little, sadly, in the way of gifts - there is a small courtyard with maybe five or six shops and a huge food hall with lots of lovely looking grub, but the choice of gifts wasn't totally suitable for what I wanted.

Feeling a bit disappointed, but noticing a sign to "abbey ruins", I decided to go for a walk instead and was immediately excited to see proper ruins!   All too often, abbey ruins mean a couple of crumbling walls, but this was the real deal.

 









This place is a real find and I don't remember ever having seen anything about it in tourist info?   When Finn and I head off to Burnham Overy Staithe for a walk on Holkham beach, we actually drive past Creake Abbey, although it's set well back from the road which would explain why I've never seen it before.  I'm thinking next time we head to the beach, we're packing a picnic and stopping here for a break on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment