Friday 22 July 2016

Tada! "The Good, The Bad and The Not Ugly At All" Poncho

When I first saw the pattern for this poncho, I thought it was something out of a Spaghetti Western!
It certainly looked a bit like a horse blanket, if nothing else!  I guess it was the colour that had been used - I thought it would look lovely in a cream, or denim, or burnt orange, colour.  However, I needed a holiday project - I was just about to head off to Grange over Sands for a week - and didn't want to spend any of my hard earned holiday spends on wool, so had a rummage through my wool stash to see what I had in the required quantity and found some Woodlander that I bought at Wisbech market last year.
 I wasn't sure if it was going to work because it was a random wool, and the poncho was already heavily patterned and would look perfect in a block colour.  However, in the spirit of adventure, befitting a Clint Eastwood film, I decided to take a chance.  And am so glad I did.
 The random colours are beautiful - I think it's because you get defined stripes with Woodlander.  Some random wools are soooooooo random, that you don't get any stripes at all, not enough yarn in any one colour.  This works perfectly.
 And here's the finished item .....
This was made as an experiment really, but, as soon as my friend Tracy saw it, she wanted it, so it's now adorning her!  I've been asked to make another couple, in cream and in Stylecraft Tomato, a beautiful burnt orange colour, and I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like in the block colours.  And I'm still trying to decide what colour I want mine in as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment