Wednesday 20 December 2017

Other People's Gardens - November 2017

November was very quiet for gardening - it's been bitterly cold, with lots of frosts, ice and snow.  Bbbbrrrrr!   I did have a job in Norwich to try and sort out a lawn - I think we got there in the end, although I can see it's going to need a lot more work doing to it next year. 
I was tickled to find this little oak growing in the lawn - I know they grow from acorns, I'm not completely stupid! - but to see how it ACTUALLY grows from an acorn was fascinating to see.  I was enchanted with my little find and could see the science/ magic for myself. 

College has been ticking along nicely and we've been doing more physical work in readiness for the spring - it hasn't all been about taking cuttings and pruning, we've been doing some of the more "earthy" stuff!  For instance, one day we had a treat delivery - three tonnes of pig poo! - which needed spreading on the rose beds - so that's what we did.  It was brilliant!   It had been very well rotted so didn't smell at all - it was warm work though barrowing all those loads to and from the rose garden.
And very companionable work too - it will be interesting to keep visiting the rose garden and see how quickly it breaks down into the soil.  Weather will break it up, frost especially and rain, and the worms will do their bit too.  Although it was laid on very thickly, we've been tasked with going and monitoring how soon we will need to put the next lot on.   Soil is fascinating.  Endlessly so for me, as I don't really have borders of my own at home, just pots and gravel and containers, although they are made to look like borders by bunching them all together and hiding the pots by all the foliage that comes through.  

I have to admit I'm struggling less with our practical Wednesdays at college as time goes on, and just wish I could say the same for our theory Tuesday evenings!

No comments:

Post a Comment