Friday 8 December 2017

Seeds and Stuff - November 2017

Not an awful lot going on in my own garden at the moment - all my gardening seems to be confined to Wednesdays at college nowadays.   As part of our course, we need to recognise one hundred (out of one hundred and fifty) plants and trees, so each week we have a walk around the college grounds and learn ten different plants, their characteristics, which soils and garden conditions they favour, etc.   I am learning so much!
I think this might be my new favourite tree - Liquidamber styraciflua.  The autumn colours are beautiful and it grows perfectly straight with very few branches coming off it, so you could stick it in the corner of a garden and just let it go! 
This is Fraxinus angustifolia 'Raywood' - an ash.  It looks very striking against the grey sky, with its black buds. 

I'm not very good at trees generally, but hoping to improve my knowledge significantly!

No comments:

Post a Comment