Tuesday 2 January 2018

Other People's Gardens - December 2017

While my work for other people has dried completely up, the gardening at college has really ramped up as we get everything ready for the spring.  We've been digging up, moving, pruning, shovelling shit, taking cuttings and sowing seeds. 

And I'm pleased to report that drastic pruning is a thing!  This takes place very regularly in my own garden, but apparently it is condoned by the RHS in extreme circumstances when a plant needs to be completely reshaped, normally when it's been allowed to roam free and do what the hell it likes.  I like this!

And here we are doing some drastic pruning - I should have taken some before and after photos because the gardens were completely unrecogniseable after we'd finished with them.  In fact our tutor was beginning to look a bit concerned that we were not going to leave anything at all!  Fab day!

On the last day of college, we had the best day - walking around in the morning doing some plant idents, and then wreath making with the stuff that we could cut and gather ourselves from the college grounds. 
Mine wasn't the neatest, or the roundest, but I still love it anyway.
And this is Kim's - probably the look I should have gone for too.  Although I do love mine, it's certainly more natural looking than the others - and, in fact, someone told me it looked like a crown for a may queen - not the look I was going for, but hey ho, I'll take it!


No comments:

Post a Comment