Monday 13 January 2014

Challenge

Ten years ago, four of us – Sarah, Mark, Andy and myself (The Bimblers) – walked sixty miles along the South Downs from Portsmouth to Brighton in aid of Oxfam and the Gurkhas.   This walk was carried out over twenty-nine hours – straight through – with head torches and a support crew.  On crossing the finishing line, I declared I would never do anything so stupid again.

Five years ago, four of us – Rachel, Tristan, Steve and myself (Tears for Beers) – walked sixty miles along the Pennine Way and Dales Way in North Yorkshire in aid of Oxfam.  This walk was done in twenty-nine hours and fourteen minutes – straight through – with head torches and a support crew.   I said at the time I was NEVER doing this again.

So, here we are again ..... but this time I have elected to be part of a support crew rather than walking.  I am part of The Nancies team – and we are raising money by walking (Amanda and Shannon) and driving (me, Finn, Auntie Ann and Richard) sixty miles from London to Brighton in aid of the Beating Bowel Cancer charity.   This dreadful disease has touched our family a lot – Mum and Auntie Joyce have beat it, our Auntie June wasn’t so lucky, and now cousin Jim is having treatment.  

I did toy with the idea of walking this, but having experienced good and bad support crews in the past, I thought I could be better employed giving in to the girls' diva-like expectations.   I just remember how much it hurt, especially the last time, and the only thing that got me through was the support of walkers and crew equally ..... and an awful lot of drugs!  I'm still going out on all the training walks - in fact, I'm organising them for the girls - and advising on equipment, clothing, etc.   I know I'll miss walking when the time comes, but this feels like the right thing to do.

So our first training walk was a short one - only six miles, but I'm breaking them in gently!   We walked from Aylsham to Reepham on the Marriots Way, a pleasant flat, straight walk to get them used to terrain, mud, cold and timings.   We've arranged two training walks a week up until March when we start three training walks per week.   We may even fit in the odd boot camp if we can!
I must admit the best part of walking for me is when we stop!   So we adjourned to the tea rooms at Reepham station at the end for sausage rolls, cake and hot chocolate.  Brilliant!   And then home for shower, jim jams and a little snooze on the sofa.  Perfect Sunday if you ask me!

No comments:

Post a Comment