Tuesday 5 May 2015

Thames Path - Windsor to Runnymede

I've just had a week off work and bloody lovely it's been too! It's been fairly action packed, and started off brilliantly with my first full day off walking the stretch of Thames Path between Windsor and Runnymede. When I say Windsor, I actually mean Datchet which is about a mile along the Thames from Windsor. Transport logistics plus dog were giving me too much of a logistical nightmare, so I parked at a layby in Datchet (where Andy and I have walked Finn from before) and walked along the river from there, with a sit down at Runnymede and the walk back again afterwards. My preferred walking option is find parking where I'm intending to finish walking, then bus back to the start of the walk, and walk towards the car. My second preferred walking option is a circular walk. The way Finn and I did it is my least favourite option, but, in terms of stress, produces the best results!






It was a really hot day and I was very glad of lots of shady places to sit down and watch the world - and the boats - go by.



Finn spent a huge amount of time in the water predictably and lots of time rolling around in the grass to get dry.



I was intrigued to see some building work going on - I had assumed that the riverside would be full to capacity of houses, but there are still some building plots. Presumably, the guys can live in their boat while the work is going on?



The path was wide and shady as we came towards Runnymede where it opened out and followed beside a road - the only time Finn was back on the lead.



We had a lovely sit down under a shady tree by the memorial at Runnymede, getting in everyone's photos! Such a beautiful spot.







Finn wanted no part in my selfie!


So a shady walk back again to Datchet, punctuated by lots of swims and sit downs.






A beautiful spring day - very warm. And very evident that there's been no rain for ages as the paths were completely dried out with cracked mud.


We'll definitely do this walk again, and hopefully we'll have Andy with us so that he can buy the ice creams!

(Post walk note - it really WAS a very warm day and I was in holiday mode - but was still embarrassed when Andy came back to the caravan after work to find both me and Finn snoring gently on the bed - I do love an afternoon nap!)

No comments:

Post a Comment