Sunday 11 June 2017

Other People's Gardens - May 2017

Back when I started working in Amanda's garden last year, I wanted to catalogue what I've been up to, to show progress. Sadly, very little progress has happened at all, I think I seriously under estimated what I would need to do, but, now I've worked it out in my head, I'm hoping to start again soon with renewed vigour.  At that time, I started to blog about gardening, but that's also fallen by the wayside - I've been so busy with gardening work that I haven't actually had time to photograph anything or write it up.  I've decided to give up with that other blog and to incorporate a monthly post into this one, basically just showing bits and bobs of what I've been up to in my gardening job.  So, here goes .....

Now, this is a bit embarrassing.  I was recently asked to weed asparagus beds, which I couldn't find.  Because, basically, I was actually looking for short plump stalks of asparagus so I was looking about four feet lower than I should have been - these have bolted somewhat!   I've been told that you can afford to let them bolt in the early years, although I'm still not entirely sure why?   I need to research this - do they set seed?  Don't they just come up from crowns underground, like herbaceous perennials?  Must look this up!
And these are raspberry and strawberry beds which I DID recognise!
And this is the first lot of mulching I've ever done - Mum and Dad got me to dig up some sickly stuff to try and revive it elsewhere in the garden; plant in some new plants; and then cover the whole lot with bark mulch.  It smells delicious - really piney - and I love the look of it too.   We gave it a good soaking which made it smell even nicer, so I'm assuming the rain will set the smell off again too?   So much to research .....!

No comments:

Post a Comment