Monday 20 May 2013

Pottering

I have been pottering today - the spot of light weeding I had promised myself this morning turned into two hours of weeding, cutting, tidying and harvesting spuds until my back was about to give out.  The garden currently has been taken over by aquilegias which are rampaging - rather beautifully, it has to be said - in not just their allotted spaces, but between all nooks, crannies and crevices, hiding all the weeds.  And I noticed this morning that not all the weeds are actually weeds either - the next rampaging swathe of greenery looks suspiciously like tiny poppies coming up.  The garden is going to be so colourful, if a little uncouth this year.  The black/ dark purple aquilegia seeds were given to me by Mary and Jim from their Surrey garden and the lovely pink variety are from Maria's Snowdonia home. 

The bluebells are gorgeous this year - and, although they arrived quite late, they've hung around a long while.  Sadly, my camellia was very disappointing this year - just four flowers on it when normally there are hundreds - we've had such a cold winter/ spring, I'm sure that's why there's been no flowers.  Perhaps next winter, I'll cover it with a garden fleece thing and see if that works?  I haven't planted any summer bulbs this year either - I'm hoping that last year's will reappear for some colour - I've been mainly concentrating on foody things.  

The Chelsea Flower Show is on this week - the 100th anniversary.  I add it to my list of places to go to each year, but always forget.  Maybe next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment