Sunday 22 September 2013

Blanket

Since I became obsessed with making granny squares back in May, following my first crochet lesson at the end of March, I have progressed to joining in colours and making my squares bigger.   My obsession is still as strong, which is why I only allow myself to make one square a day - otherwise I would get nothing else done.
I know that I'm not great at putting colours together - usually, left to my own devices, I would use all colours of the rainbow in all shades and combinations.  However, this blanket was constrained by the colours of the wool I could buy.  I have discovered an on line wool shop who have clearance sales - I know that I wanted something with a bit of wool content, rather than 100 per cent acrylic, and the make of the wool that I went for was Wendy Jubilee, a lovely soft yarn with 25 per cent wool content, and in beautifully muted, heathery shades.   Of the ten colours available, I chose eight - leaving out grey and black, not my colours at all!   So I was left with green, purple, cream, blue, red, pink, light brown and turquoise.  And I have to say I'm delighted with how it has turned out.

I really wanted the blanket to be as random as I could make it - having a bag of wool beside me and just delving in and pulling out the next colour as a lucky dip.   I set up an Excel spreadsheet - I LOVE Excel! - so I could try and make the actual putting together as random as possible.  However, once I was over half way with the squares I needed, then, by necessity, it did become more "designed" than randomly put together.   It seemed that every square I was making had turquoise in it!  I had bought extra of the green and the purple to make the edgings and crochet a border - two of my most favourite colours, to bring the whole thing together.  

And I'm so pleased with it that I have bought some 100 per cent cotton, and also some acrylic in much more lary shades - quelle surprise! - to carry on with this blanket obsession.  I'm totally hooked - excuse the pun!

No comments:

Post a Comment