Tuesday 28 April 2015

National Gardening Week 2015

From 13 to 19 April, the UK has been celebrating National Gardening Week and I took even more photos than usual in the garden. But that's probably because everything is shooting up so quickly that if I blink, I'm worried I'll miss something.All these photos were taken during the National Gardening Week which probably means that my Seeds and Stuff post will be a bit shorter this month.



The Charlottes are in, but I still haven't planted the Pink Fir Apples. That's one of my many gardening jobs for tomorrow!




The camellia has been beautiful although I've noticed it's going brown now - we've had some cold nights and frosts, which is what damages the flowers.




Don't think I've ever noticed these little flowers on the pieris before now. But, actually, I've chopped its neighbour, the Alnwick Rose, right down and the pieris has really come into its own this year - perhaps it just needed some more space?



My little garden helper!




My garden has been taken over by violets - among other things which have appeared. I didn't realise how many I'd got and this little clump was in danger of being torn up by Finn tearing around the garden, so I lifted it and put it in a big planter at the bottom of the garden. Since doing so, I've noticed lots of little clumps around the garden so fingers crossed I get to keep them for a few years.  



Another plant which has taken over my garden is the forget-me-nots. It is everywhere! I love it but even I have admitted defeat and pulled up a few clumps to throw on the compost heap. Such a shame, but I needed room for other things!


The pear blossom smells gorgeous.  I hope it produces lots of fruit this year.


Primrose and muscari.

So, that's the National Gardening Week tour - the garden is looking beautiful at the moment.  I've been over to the garden centre today and bought a dozen strawberry plants for the front garden, together with six large planters for the six lavenders I brought last week.   And, because I'm planting up more spuds tomorrow, I've bought 180litres of compost.  I have been using compost from my bin, but there's not enough rotted down yet for everything I need to do. 




No comments:

Post a Comment