Sunday 3 April 2016

Seeds and Stuff - March 2016

Oh, how I love spring!  Everything bursting into life; pegging the washing out on the line again instead of in the spare bedroom; colour reappearing in the garden; being able to sit outside with a cup of tea.  I love it.  And now the clocks have gone forward, I get that extra hour (or at least whatever's left of it after taking Finn out for his run over the park) to potter about doing a spot of light weeding or just looking.  I do a lot of looking.  Mostly trying to identify what is weed and what looks like it might blossom into something infinitely more beautiful - foxgloves and poppies all look a bit "weedy" when they start to sprout - but I'm enough of a gardener now to know that I can leave things a little bit longer before uprooting them ..... just in case.





Spring, for me, is also about demolition work!  So far this year, I've chopped my neighbour's (at the end of my garden) buddleia right back and I've uprooted a kiwi fruit and a huge yucca to make room for other things that hopefully will be more successful.  (I also have a massive camellia to get out but I'm waiting for that to flower first.  I've also got another plant in the garden - completely unrecogniseable - that is coming out - it's been there for seven years - I know because I planted it!  And while it's OK, I don't love it, so I will put something else in its place instead.  I already know what's going in there but Thompson and Morgan don't deliver them until July, so the unknown plant will have a stay of execution until then.)

I love this photo - despite the scenes of devastation in the garden where I was chopping everything down, Finn still found a little patch of sunshine to lay in.





The front garden is looking beautiful and full of tulips - I planted these back in the autumn in anticipation of putting the house on the market and needing a lovely sight to welcome potential buyers.  However, since realising that I couldn't bear to leave here just yet, the tulips are a welcome sight for me when I come home from work each day.  Gorgeous.





The hyacinths in the front garden are also beautiful and multiplying and smell gorgeous.


And the muscari is popping up everywhere - so sweet.



Mum has taken down the net curtains in the shed so I'm trying to work out what I'm going to do with that space now - I'm thinking of potentially moving all the potting stuff from the outhouse down to the shed so I can work in there.   That's still at the drawing board stage for now, so could change.

This month, I've sown lavender and rocket - as per my schedule.  As for the poppies, I decided not to bother sowing them into seed trays, I just went out and sprinkled the seeds all over the garden so we'll see what comes up from those!   And, because I had the extra tray available where the poppies would have gone, I sowed tomatoes instead. Progress reports to follow .....

Yes, I certainly love spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment