Monday 2 January 2017

College

Back in September, after years of banging on about doing a gardening apprenticeship, I finally decided it was time to get my finger out and get on with it.  To gain a National Trust gardening apprenticeship, firstly I need to get my RHS Level 2 in Horticulture to even be considered and, serendipitously, our local agricultural college, Easton College in Norwich, run this course.  Amanda and I headed off one Saturday for a college open day/ course advice day, with the view to me signing up in September 2017.  (Amanda came along to write everything down as I was too nervous to ask questions and write at the same time.  I wonder why I'm even considering studying at this rate!)  The chap we spoke to was very helpful and very entertaining and certainly put my mind at ease.   However, when I said I was thinking about September 2017, he told me that was basically nonsense and he had a place on the course available from Tuesday!  TUESDAY?!!  Luckily, the Finance people were very accommodating which meant I could pay for my course in monthly instalments, and, with that reassurance, I was in!

Clearly, I'm taking this very seriously - I have bought up pretty much all the stationery in Wilkinsons!  I bloody love stationery!

The first term has been quite tricky - there's a lot of science involved and I am having to learn Latin names for everything.
The second part of the term though dealt with soil which I know a little bit about, so it's definitely getting more understandable.

I'm really REALLY enjoying it - and come out of the class every Tuesday absolutely buzzing.  I had no idea I was going to enjoy it so much.   I'm still struggling with the science - but thoroughly enjoyed the time we have spent in the lab so far.  We have our first exams at the beginning of February, and then we are doing practical stuff in the glasshouses until our next lot of exams in June.  (And if I fail the February exams, I can always resit in June, which is not ideal, but at least gives me a contingency plan.) 

So, this is my Tuesday evenings taken up for the next two years and, from September 2017, I will be attending college one full day a week as well (on Wednesdays) to do practical gardening and gain my RHS Level 2 Diploma. 

Lots of exciting things to look forward to and I'm already getting so much out of it now.  Should never have left it this late to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment