Sunday 15 January 2017

Lowther Castle and Gardens

On a very grey and wet October day, Mum, Dad and I headed up towards Penrith to visit Lowther Castle, a little gem I'd found while researching gardens on the internet.   The weather in no way spoiled our enjoyment of this magical place.   Set in 130 acres of land, the castle and garden have been closed to the public for seventy years, following their fall into ruins.  It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited and am looking forward to visiting again, when I hope they haven't done too much else to restore the lost gardens.  I think part of the magic is their overgrown-ness and abandonment.  

I love this photo of Mum lost in the wild flowers.
Beware the old man in the woods!

Mum and Dad spent some time trying to work out how we would get this back to Norfolk!
It certainly is a completely magical place and I will definitely be returning!

No comments:

Post a Comment