Saturday 14 January 2017

Holiday Randoms - Grange-over-Sands

Back in October, Mum, Dad and I had a mid week break in the Lake District, on the same caravan park that Finn and I had stayed at back in April.  Because I wanted a couple of days' coast walking this time, Andy offered to have Finn at home.  While I was really sad that I didn't have Finn and Andy with me, it did mean that I could get more walking done.  Oh the guilt, though!

Dad doesn't really hold with satnav, so he directed us to our destination from the back seat of the car, and Mum rode up front with me, dishing out sweeties at regular intervals!  Instead of the way that I would have gone (ie, the way the satnav and maps would have taken me!), we headed up the A1 to Yorkshire and then took a left at Wetherby, where we stopped for lunch and a leg stretch.
This was hilarious, because we went in a number of charity shops during our stop and came out with bags full of books for the week (and beyond, I suspected at the time - we were never going to read that much in five days!). 

After a couple of hours, we headed off to our site, via Skipton and the Yorkshire Dales.  Very pleasant it was too, and we got to our caravan about five o'clock, our (rather on the cold side) home for the rest of the week.  The plan was that I would walk on the Tuesday and Thursday while Mum and Dad went and did their own thing, and we would all spend the Wednesday together.  We'd already planned meals for the week and I'd got packed lunch sandwich stuff for walking.  We were incredibly organised. 

So these are just a few random photos I took during the week - all the places we visited properly will be covered in other posts.

Grange-over-Sands is really quite pretty - I hadn't had a chance to explore it before because of having Finn with me and him being a bit unpredictable.  I got a good few wanders during the week as we had arranged that I would spend most of my time getting about by train, while Mum and Dad had the car, and so I had a good few mooches around the town while waiting for my lift.


There was a lot of cake involved ...
And we had a lovely meal out in a pub/ restaurant that had an enormous selection of gins ...
We had some lovely drives in the Lake District and had a lot of stops in laybys to admire the scenery ...

and ginger sheep ...
A lovely week, but pretty tiring ...


No comments:

Post a Comment