Monday 12 February 2018

Other People's Gardens - January 2018

It was so cold in January - still is now in February - that we spent a lot of time working in the glasshouses at college, potting things up, including the sweetpea and calendulas that I'd sown as seeds before Christmas.
The joys of base heating!
We've also done a few more assessments including soil testing - stupidly, I forgot to take any of my soil in so I had to pretend that I live in Weston Longville near Becky!

We've also been working in the tropical glasshouse which gets really nice and toasty - mainly tidying up, but also wandering around with magnifying glasses, actively looking for pests and diseases.
There's only so much you can do indoors so we have braved the elements a few times - mainly planting up the orchard area - with sixteen apple trees of four different varieties.  We had such a fab afternoon, but we did get snowed, hailed and sleeted upon for our efforts!
One thing I've discovered from college is my love of working in a team - I'm not sure I'm now cut out to set up my own gardening business as it can be a bit lonely.  The team working is excellent though and I'm now thinking of concentrating my horticultural efforts at working in just such an environment eventually.  Who'd have thought?!

No comments:

Post a Comment