Monday 12 August 2019

Other People's Gardens - July 2019

I haven't done so much work in other people's gardens in July - due to some health issues and anticipated minor surgery, I packed up gardening in the middle of July, with a view to starting up again after the August bank holiday.   I'm hoping that's still the case, despite the fact that the hospital procedure got cancelled in mid July, and I'm actually due in again tomorrow.   I hope I've given myself enough time off to feel able to start gardening again.  What a palaver!

One of my customers had recently been to Gardeners' World Live and had bought herself a garden plan for a 2 x 3 metre bed and enough plants to fill it.  She actually sent me a message from the Show to let me know and to warn me that I'd be digging out a new bed on my next visit!   The top photos show progress of the bed - it was previously turf so it did need some leg work to get it all up.   We marked out the area of the bed with a garden hose, which we weighted down with bricks - that then gave me the line I needed to dig.

As I was halfway through - it took two visits to finish it - my customer came and asked me to dig out another bed in a very shady area of the garden as she was planning on sowing shade loving wildflowers - this bed was significantly easier to dig, being in the shade rather than full sun, for a start!   This bed didn't take half as long as the original - so when I get back to work, we just need to treat the soil and do all the prep, ready for the planting and sowing in the autumn and spring.  

This garden is looking beautiful - so lush and, apart from the odd bit of dead heading and a bit of weed control, it's pretty much under control.  I know that we're heading towards the autumn when I'll be needed to cut back the apple trees again - these are then wheelbarrowed up to the village green for the annual bonfire and firework festival.

The lady who owns this garden has told me that I MUST rest up after my surgery but could I please get better quickly as her garden is beginning to need me again!


No comments:

Post a Comment