Monday 22 April 2013

Norfolk

I'm really very lucky to live where I do - it's only through a string of coincidences and not by design.  Until I settled in Norfolk seven years ago, I'd lived all over the place - born in Greater London, lived in East Sussex, Hampshire and Middlesex, interspersed with six months in Cardiff and another six months in Spain, not far from Barcelona.  If it hadn't been for Mum and Dad moving to Norfolk all those years ago from Surrey, I'm not sure where I'd be right now.  I'm jolly glad I'm here though. 

I'm very lucky to live less than half an hour's drive to the Norfolk Broads, but only half an hour's walk into the city of Norwich.  Within five minutes' walk of my house, Finn and I can be lost on the marshes enjoying lovely walks and countryside.  We really are very lucky.

On Mondays - which I don't work - I like to venture a bit further afield with Finn - and of course the kids are at school and everyone's back at work, so we very rarely see any other souls - except in the school holidays or in high summer.  Today we've driven down to Rockland St Mary, a small village perched on the River Yare, and have walked a bit of the Wherryman's Way.
The Wherryman's Way runs for thirty-five miles from Great Yarmouth into Norwich - a walk I've done in its entirety as part of a training programme a few years back.  When you do these major walks, you don't really look at very much as you're just concentrating on getting the miles under your belt. I much prefer dipping in and out of the walk and today's four mile stretch - two there, two back - is much more enjoyable.  We saw a few dog walkers today and a couple of yachtsmen but that was it.  Lovely to get out into the fresh air - despite the freshness today - and spend some thinking time.   Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment