Monday 26 May 2014

Cottage garden

I'm trying to remember when I decided I wanted a cottage garden - but actually I don't think I ever did decide.  I think it just happened when I wasn't looking.   As the years have gone on - five years since I moved in here - seeds have been sown by the birds, me brushing against the plants as I walk through, Finn as he charges around chasing the neighbourhood cats, the wind that blows fiercely through here sometimes.   So we now are over run with poppies, aquilegias, foxgloves - in all colours and shades.






I've added two roses to the garden since moving in - the others were all here before me.  The ones I've planted are the pink Alnwick Rose which is now enormous and could do with a bit of a short back and sides.  The other one I've added is the peach coloured Bridge of Sighs which is gorgeous and doing its best to climb over the pergola that Dad and Nicholas built me.   The yellow rose - name unknown - is stunning - the flowers are really big and it looks perfect in front of my blue and white shed.







I do like blue and purple in a garden - I think that, if I had planned it - it would all have been blue, purple and white.   But luckily, Mother Nature had other ideas so we have a far bigger paint palette to choose from!




And now we're having a mini heatwave too - so lots of opportunities for sitting outside and enjoying the garden for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment