Saturday 17 May 2014

Fabric

I have a new obsession, one that has taken over from wool - fabric.   I have already managed to fill up two trunks and a small suitcase with fabric - and I've only actually been dressmaking since January!   Although, to be fair, most of the stuff in these trunks is made up of old clothes that I can't bear to throw away as I'm sure I can upcycle them in some way.  And if they're too far gone for reusing, then they can be cut up for patchwork.  I've got too many ideas and not enough time!




I bought this cloth when I was in Bhutan, back in 2006/2007 - can't remember very clearly - foreign travel belongs to the dim and distant past now!   Strictly speaking, it's not actually a piece of fabric, it is actually an item of clothing - a gho, the traditional national dress for Bhutanese men.   It's a long straight piece of fabric which is wrapped around - with the aid of magic - to form a knee length robe, which is then tied around the waist.   However, when I saw the fabric in a beautiful textiles shop, this piece of material screamed out "curtains" to me, I'm ashamed to say.   Luckily though, I've done nothing with this in the ensuing years since making the purchase, and am now aiming to make something much more special with it ..... I'm just not sure what yet.  I must admit I'm quite terrified of it - it's so beautifully woven with such care and precision and the gold thread is stunning - although very difficult to photograph.   And, of course, if I stuff it up, there's very little chance I'll be able to replace it with something similar and, more importantly, authentic.   This one is on the back burner.





I really should have ironed this one before taking the photos!   This one is also terrifying - but for totally different reasons.   The pattern is huge - and I've not done pattern matching yet.   If I mess it up, however, it's not the end of the world - it's only three quid a metre in Ikea!   I'm really loving Gudrun Sjoden at the moment - a Swedish designer who uses massive abstract flower prints in her clothes and homewares.   (She has a newly opened shop in Covent Garden and I swear Mary and I spent a good hour in there just before Christmas!)  I think this fabric may end up as a tablecloth - albeit a rather beautiful one.  I have found a pattern for a gorgeous wrap skirt, but I'm about a metre short of fabric for that.   I may have to put it on my shopping list again the next time we go to Ikea!



This is fun!   Who can't resist an all-over monkey design?!!   These are destined for pyjamas - for my nephew's twenty-sixth birthday present!  


This fabric retailer - based in Hong Kong - was recently recommended and I thought I'd have a mini-shop - firstly to work out the quality of the cloth and also the delivery times.  And I have to say I'm really impressed - the fabric is very good quality, it's very reasonably priced and it took less than a week to get here.  Bonus. They enclosed a free sample of the above owl fabric with my order - very sweet, but I have no idea what I'd use it for.   In the meantime, it's gone into the fabric trunk for safe keeping!



This one's nice, isn't it?   Not sure what I'm doing with this yet - I'm wondering whether it would make a lovely quilted beach bag?  


And this one's for me - it's a really soft corduroy, again with a scary pattern, but I don't feel quite so terrified with this one - I'm thinking a simple A line skirt with bright red buttons up the front and red top stitching.   Gorgeous!

There are just two obstacles to all this creativity at the moment though - a pair of creamy white trousers that I'm making in my sewing class, and the bright red dress I'm making to wear to a friend's wedding in FOUR WEEKS' TIME!   EEK!  

No comments:

Post a Comment