Monday 12 May 2014

Folksy

I watched a TV programme last night about the rise and rise of Amazon and how it has revolutionised shopping across the world - instead of us going to actually LOOK at stuff in shops before we choose, we just type in exactly what we need in the search box, tap a few buttons and, a couple of days later, our chosen item arrives on our doorstep, without us having to do battle in Marks and Spencer or John Lewis. The flip side is that lots of independent shops are going under as they cannot compete with this internet giant. I did a bit of soul searching after this and have promised myself that, as much as possible - choice and price permitting, - I will go and buy things in physical shops in the hope that our high streets don't disappear and that people's livelihoods are saved.

It only struck me later in the evening that I am actually taking advantage of this online shopping sensation myself - albeit in a very teeny tiny way of course.  At the beginning of the year, I decided to put some of our wares on Folksy, the UK equivalent of Etsy, a world wide site showcasing crafty and homemade goods. There are a lot of clever people out there!

Anyway, our stuff is getting seen - we can check our weekly views - and we have people who "favourite" our shop, and it's gratifying to know that people like our stuff.  We have also sold some stuff too, which is fab - that people put trust in our things without having seen or felt them first.   Very pleasing indeed.




No comments:

Post a Comment