Monday 3 June 2013

Gardening

Today is the last day of my mini holiday before I go back to work and, true to form, it's the sunniest and warmest day of the lot!  Too hot to spend prolonged periods out in my garden working, but lovely to get out and do a bit of a splurge on it before having to retire indoors for tea, biscuits and a feet-up! 
I do love my garden but there is no shade all afternoon or evening.  I have stipulated to Andy that, when we buy our "forever" house, we must have grass and a tree for shade.  I will of course be sitting underneath it on a picnic blanket, wearing a large hat and reading Austen and the Brontes.  Or maybe I will just be snoozing or knitting.  Whatever.  We MUST have shade!  

The garden is looking particularly beautiful today.  I've been reading a few housey magazines over the past week and especially the bits about gardens and, apparently, it's very important to colour coordinate so that your garden isn't one huge out-of-control psychedelic mess.  Oops.  I love colour, I don't care about the mess!  And if it looks uncoordinated now, it's going to get worse when the lilies - which are the most amazing orange colour - arrive on the scene.  I can't wait!

The aquilegias are still rampaging, albeit with a little less vigour now.  I think it's too warm for them.  I do love them though - and the best bit is that they are covering up all the shingle - the world's biggest dog litter tray! - and the weeds, so I can't get in to do the weeding quite so much.  Which is just as well, as I've already filled up the big brown wheelie bin today.

It hasn't all been about flowers though.  I have potted out my tomatoes finally and the mange tout are ready to go out - I'm just waiting for it to cool down a bit.  And I've even dug up some more spuds for tea.  Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment