Saturday 8 June 2013

Self-conscious

Today is National Knit In Public Day.  In the past year alone, I have knitted by the side of a river, a lake, on a train, in my staff room at work, even in the waiting room of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital - where I gave an impromptu sock-making lesson to a couple of interested ladies.  And, in November, I spent a couple of hours knitting in my car - with a packet of biscuits, a thermos of coffee, and two dogs - while Amanda climbed Tintagel - despite the wonderful distracting view of the sea, the cliffs and the castle, I managed to not drop any stitches at all. 

So I should have been delighted at a knitting in public day - however, for the life of me, I could not think where to go to do this.  I wasn't sure whether I wanted to make a special trip anywhere - I thought it needed to be done in a place that I was already visiting, to make it more real.  However, the public places I have visited today are the marshes (too draughty and too difficult while trying to control Finn at the same time); the Craft Room where I was dropping off stock (but that's hardly innovative, it's almost de rigeur to knit in there!); Hobbycraft (too lonely); and the Coop (the aisles are too small).  I did think about sitting in the garden again - my little patch is overlooked on all sides so that almost passes for a public space, but it's a bit fresh today.  I'm full of excuses!  I will form a splinter group and knit in public on another day - I never could abide rules anyway.

My visit to the shop was to drop off a shawl - in a beautiful peacock blue colour, which didn't come out at all peacock blue in the photo - bloody camera!

And also another wave blanket.  I really like this version of the wave, although I had quite a talking to from Shannon and Amanda who weren't at all impressed with the colours.  I dont care, I love it!

I need to think of a way to do some marketing - Bryony and I had quite a discussion this morning about the flowers I dropped off - she had put them in a pretty vase with the ones I had taken the last time I called in.  We're thinking of wedding table decorations - flowers on every table in small white enamel jugs, almost like milk churn jugs?  And, at the end of the day, guests could each take a flower home as a souvenir of the day.  How do you market that?  I think the first thing would be to speak to some florists to find out how much they would charge for table decorations and then at least I have a figure to work to.   Too many creative ideas rushing around in my head - my poor old brain can't cope with it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment