Thursday 11 December 2014

Tada! "Nurse the Screens!" Scrubs

Back in the summer, I was commissioned - so to speak - to make a pair of scrubs for my benefactor, Shiriin.  The bottoms were very straightforward - basically pyjama bottoms - and I'd made a few pairs of those by then, so felt quite confident and cracked on with those.



Shiriin had merely said she was happy with either green or blue so I found some blue sateen fabric in Dunelm  Mill - they had a slight sheen to one side.  Not being particularly knowledgeable about fabric - and the front and back being not very different - I went with the slightly shiny side for the outside.   I thought that it would be more annoying to have shiny fabric against your skin, and marginally less annoying to have it on the outside!  

With the bottoms made, it was time to make the top - this was a totally different prospect as I hadn't made a top before.   The pattern was very straightforward, even with regard to the v neck which wasn't quite as tricky as I had imagined.


In fact, I was feeling pretty pleased with myself altogether - I love top stitching, it gives a really neat finish and I got plenty of opportunity to practise this.   Especially as the pockets - bizarrely - were just sewn with raw edges to the front of the top.


Not bad, if I do say so myself.  


I think there are a few fitting issues, but, with Shiriin living in Nepal, it's quite tricky without trying on and re-fittings.   But on the whole, I think I know what I've done wrong, so, when I get some time in the new year, I will try another pair and hopefully they'll pass muster also!

(Because this was quite a quick project, but quite full on - less than a full weekend - Finn took up residence on the bed for a couple of days and kept his beady eye on me.   I'd recently bought an ipod dock so I could listen to music in my bedroom while I worked - we had a very companionable couple of days!)


No comments:

Post a Comment