Tuesday 7 July 2015

Tada! "Birthday Cocktails" Dress

I've lost my sewing mojo a bit recently - I think I'd lost a bit of confidence.  However, I'm delighted with Shannon's dress - the whole process was fab and really fun.  We had a couple of fittings and came up with little solutions to problems of my own making!  I ended up putting darts everywhere to make it fit!


The pattern was a Little Woollie pattern - Connie's Cocktail Dress.  Shannon asked me to make a dress for her birthday and we looked for fabric at the knitting and stitching show in Olympia.  And then Shannon found the pattern when wandering around on her own - she came to find me to drag me back to the Little Woollie stall and, while there, we spotted the dress on one of the stall holders - we were both sold on it immediately! The dress was being worn with a big net skirt underneath to make it stand out - it was beautiful and we know that Shannon has that option too.


This was also the first garment I've cut out with my new pizza cutter and my cutting mat - god, it makes everything so much easier and quicker!


(The stones weighing down the pattern are now path of my mosaic garden path, so I need to collect some more weighing down stones!)





And I'm so impressed with my zip this time - the first one I've been absolutely delighted with.  Check me out!


I also had never used bias binding before and had no idea what I was doing.  Thank god for the internet! Shannon teamed the dress with a black belt and it looks fab, with that and little black pumps.



I'm so pleased with the way it's turned out - it's gorgeous.  It's definitely given me back a bit of confidence - I really need to stop talking about sewing and just get on with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment