Saturday 25 July 2015

Woods End

We are very lucky to have the Wherryman's Way very near us - it is a thirty-five mile walk between Great Yarmouth and Norwich along the River Yare and there are plenty of smaller circular walks that can be done from points along the way.

A few Sundays back, Amanda and I did a very short stretch - not because we're lazy, but because I have recently injured my leg and my GP even thought I may have had a blood clot!  However, it turned out to be nothing more than a bad sprain - although how it happened is beyond me, I was only walking to work - the same as I do every day.  It wasn't like I was running or skipping to get there!  So, we did just over a couple of miles as part of my recuperation and building back to walking on it properly again.

And it was also raining, and we're only fair weather walkers!  To be fair, it was actually really refreshing to walk in it - it had been so hot for weeks, necessitating Finn waiting until quite late in the evening for his walks.  So we were actually quite excited to be walking along in the rain - besides, we've got very good waterproofs.  As Billy Connolly once said, there's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.



The path was lovely and peaceful - on lanes, on a couple of very minor roads, through woodland, along field edges.




Predictably, we were the only ones sitting in the pub garden in the rain at the end!  The circular walk starts just past the Woods End pub, but, because it was quite a short walk, we weren't even sure the pub would be open by the time we finished.


I've been here before in the height of summer with the sun shining and it's heaving.  So it was actually really nice to be the only ones there, enjoying the coolness of the rain and having this stretch of the Broads to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment