Friday 5 July 2019

Seeds and Stuff - June 2019

Flaming June has been anything but - we've had cold, rain, monsoon floods, the rain has been biblical!

Andy was up here at the beginning of June and was given many jobs to do, inside and out, but the garden jobs included putting up the birdbox (and it occurs to me that I haven't even written up the post about the making of the birdbox yet and that was a year ago!), and my fabulous plaque, which was a present from lovely Mo and John, following the news that I had gained my RHS Level 2 Diploma in the Principles and Practice of Horticulture.   Letters after my name at last!

Despite the strange old weather, the garden has been looking particularly lush - although much less so now.  I really do need to get out there and pull up all the Digitalis and Aquilegia which have gone over (although I will, of course, be saving seed from them), as the Agapanthus and Lilium are about to burst into flower and I need to make room for them.

I had meant to dig up the Passiflora cerulaea and move it, to make way for my birthday Wisteria sinensis, but too late - it's already flowering and has covered the whole of the pergola and the apple trees.   Darn it!   I hate cutting things back while they're in flower, it just doesn't seem right - I may need to come up with a different plan for the Wisteria in the meantime?

I got back from my holiday last weekend to find Auntie June's Hebe in full flower - it's bigger than me now!   All family members were given a cutting of the Hebe by Tim, after we went back to 267 after Auntie June's funeral - and I clearly have had green fingers for longer than I realised, as this is now enormous and I'm now taking cuttings of it for others!   It's absolutely stunning and brings back lovely memories every time I walk past it.


No comments:

Post a Comment