Monday 24 February 2020

Dyeing In The ChurchYard

Eighteen months ago, Amanda and I headed off to Ludham for an event organised by a local guild of spinners and weavers.

I had already expressed an interest in learning about how I could use natural plant dyes for wool and fabrics so this event was a godsend.

I was fascinated by the displays in the church, showing what could be achieved with natural plant dyes - it was most instructional.


Outside in the marquees, the ladies were encouraging people to have a go at using acid dyes, sadly no plant dyes, but there was a huge queue of people so we didn't get to have a go.  I think the thing might be to join the guild and go along and learn from them?

It was a fascinating afternoon and lovely to see people using traditional crafts still.

While I would dearly love to have a go, I do feel that there should be a limit to the amount of hobbies one person can have!

After we'd had a good mooch round, it was time to find a tearoom, and then to go and watch a local Morris Dancing group - today was all about traditions!







No comments:

Post a Comment