Friday 25 July 2014

Early Morning Swim

We are well and truly experiencing a great summer - we're in the middle of a heatwave which has been going on for weeks now.   I love the summer, but am not very good in the heat - so I'm conscious that it must be so much worse for Finn.   And, because of that, we have changed a lot of our routines - we are going for walks either very early in the morning or much later in the evening when it's cooled right down and isn't so draining.  

I've never been able to keep Finn out of the water when we're out and about - although sometimes I've diverted our route slightly so we're nowhere near temptation for him.  However, I'm positively encouraging him in for a swim now to cool him down - not just the odd paddle, but a proper old swim.   I don't even mind when he comes and shakes himself down near me - I quite like keeping cool that way too now!

We've also started walking much nearer home - the thought of getting into a sweltering car, driving to the beach and then having to drive back again fills me with dread.   And, besides, the schools have broken up for the summer holidays now, so we're giving beaches a wide berth for the next six weeks!  

Finn has quite a varied collection of sticks in the outhouse at the moment.  He very conscientiously carries his stick of the day back home from our walks, but, because I invariably forget to take it back with us the next day, I then have to find another one for him.  Hence they are multiplying!  






No comments:

Post a Comment