Monday 2 March 2015

Fashion and Textile Museum

Up to three months ago, I didn't even know that there WAS a fashion and textile museum!   This is what becoming a subscriber to Sew magazine teaches you.   The museum is in Bermondsey and was set up by Zandra Rhodes in 2003.  Nowadays, it's run by Newham College and there were certainly a lot of studenty looking types when I visited during my London weekend.   (Some of them still getting the displays ready for visitors, despite the exhibition having opened three weeks previously.  Bloody students!)


In fact, I got there early so popped next door to the tearooms - the Teapod - to wait.  


It was a beautiful morning and I'd had a lovely time since getting up - this visit was following my walk up to Columbia Road and then back to the hotel to drop my primroses off.  And then over the river to Bermondsey - I think I probably walked about ten miles on the Sunday, but there's so much to see as you're wandering around that you don't really think about distances - until you can't move later in the day!


This exhibition was all about Thea Porter and here I have to confess that I had not even heard of her before my visit.  


I do remember having seen the above image before though.

Thea Porter's clothes are pretty recognisable and have been worn by the likes of Barbra Streisand, Britt Ekland, Elizabeth Taylor, Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd.   With that accreditation and history, it was fairly clear that it was all going to be about Nehru jackets, flares, huge expanses of chiffon, psychedelic colours and huge sleeves!   And it was.   Nothing more to say, just enjoy the photos ...








Actually I love this dress - reminds me of some of the frocks I was wearing back in the seventies.


And here it is in close up.  Not sure I'd have the nerve to wear something like this today, but I'm getting some good ideas for a patchwork quilt!






No comments:

Post a Comment