Saturday 1 August 2015

Seeds and Stuff - July 2015

This month has been less about seed sowing again and more about caring for what's already growing - so I've been potting on and harvesting, and, most importantly, eating!


The courgettes have been producing some lovely flowers and, this year, some of those flowers have turned into fruit. Last year was very disappointing in that I had lots of flowers but no fruit at all.


But this year, we've had lots of fruit and I've been eating courgettes already.  


The only thing I've done differently is move all the veggie pots out to the front garden - not so much because I think Finn has eaten them in the past, but more general protection from him.  He does love to charge about the garden - and it's only very small so there are naturally a lot of casualties among the plants out the back.  So the courgettes, potatoes and tomatoes are all in the front garden.  It's been a very wet July with lots of sunny spells inbetween so I haven't had to water very much at all this year.  

I just hope the tomatoes perk up soon - lots of very healthy plants, but no flowers and certainly no fruit yet.  It'll happen - it's early yet!


I'm also eating my spuds now - this was the first tub I dug up - there are another seven.  I probably dug them up a bit early, but I wanted to re-use the planter they were in to put some more tomatoes out.   This variety is Charlotte and I have another three tubs of these, plus the four tubs of the Pink Fir Apples, which are my favourite.

So it's been a  productive month, but no more seeds sown.  The flower seeds I have sown before have sort of been ok - I need to concentrate more on flowers probably.  I tend to leave them to just get on with it, and they certainly aren't lavished with the same care and attention as my edibles.  

The aubergine plants are doing very well in the outhouse and, as I dig up more spuds from outside, I can transplant some of the veggies outside into the big planters being vacated by the potatoes.  I have broccoli to put out soon and the beetroot.   

Very happy with progress being made!

No comments:

Post a Comment