Friday 11 September 2015

August Flowers - 2015

The garden has been beautiful this year - really blooming.










There have been so many colours - it's been very technicolour - and I'm sure garden designers would be horrified!



Although I think the lilies have been looking a bit dull this year - perhaps it's just that we haven't had so much sunlight on them.  They seem to be a bit tired looking.  Perhaps they need some extra looking after and I've neglected them too much?  Perhaps I need to do some research.


Same with the buddleia - just not as bright as usual.   I really do need to give this a massive haircut over the winter - it's shading out the rose at the bottom of the garden.  It's on my list of winter jobs!


The foxgloves got a second wind and, in fact, there are hundreds of new plants in the garden, although I don't think they will flower now.  I've already collected lots of seed for next year.


The crocosmia have gone mad this year - I don't remember there being so many before?  I know how to divide them though now - Monty Don gave us a tutorial on Gardener's World a few weeks back!  I might plant some over the other side of the garden to even all the orange out a bit.  I will add that to my list too.




I love my little alpine garden - I've used a load of old crockery pots and they seem very at home here.  As they make more plants, I'll put them into even more old crockery pots to jazz it all up a bit.  Love it.



The fuchsias are doing very well this year.


I treated myself to a fern - I've always wanted one - with my birthday money - it doesn't really count as "flowers" but it's still gorgeous and I love watching the new ferny leaves unfurling.



This is the top bit of the garden which is very shady - I'm trying to establish a woodland garden but I think it will take more than a fern, a few primroses and some violets!  Definitely needs more work.



Alnwick rose still blooming.



Again, blackberries don't count as flowers but they are such a large part of the garden currently, that I couldn't leave them out.



Hydrangea in the front garden - never noticed how blue it was before?



Tradescantia in the hanging basket in the front garden.


And this is my kniphofia Tawny King which I needed, immediately after seeing it on Gardener's World.  I have taken to sitting with a notebook on my knee while watching this on a Friday evening, to note down all the plants I simply MUST have in my garden!


No comments:

Post a Comment