Monday 7 September 2015

Seeds and Stuff - August 2015

I've been really lazy this month and have sown nothing.  I have been harvesting though - mainly fruit - plums, blackberries and apples.  The tomatoes have come to nothing at all - but even Monty Don said on Gardener's World that this has been a very bad year for tomatoes so I do feel vindicated.  I've had no more courgettes, but I have got four cucumbers very nearly ready, which is bizarre.   It seems the most complicated things to grow are the most productive this year!  


I've got pounds and pounds of blackberries, so really do need to get my finger out and get the blackberry brandy on the go, especially if I want to bottle it up by Christmas.


I've got plenty of plums in the freezer too and am not sure what to do with those - probably crumbles in the winter, although I might make some more plum jam as I've just about finished the last of mine.


Apple pie (on the right) with my own fruit.  Lasagne on the left with ingredients foraged from Tescos!


One of my successes this year has been this gaillardia - it has produced loads of flowers and is gorgeous - this was sown from seed and I'd almost given up on it.  Flower seeds take forever to get going.

I have been collecting seed again and have got a load from the foxgloves and poppies - they're all dried now so I'm popping them into envelopes and sending them off to people who have asked for some.  My agapanthus has flowered again this year, so I've gathered a few seed pods from that and might have a go at doing some of those from seed too.

Must try harder in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment