Friday 1 January 2016

Mousehole

After my excursion to the Minack, I still had half a day left to go exploring so chose to visit Mousehole as that was on the way back to Penzance, where I had to pick up the A30 back up towards north Cornwall.  I've always loved Mousehole (pronounced Mouzel) and have imagined myself living there in my retirement.  (Along with Looe, Fowey, Skipton and Fort William - I'm going to be moving a lot when I retire!)



It was a very grey day - cold and damp - so I didn't stay too long, just long enough for a wander all around the lanes and the harbour and to buy some postcards.


There was evidence that the Christmas lights were going up - or perhaps they're there all year and don't get taken down from one year to the next?








One of the things that would put me off living in Mousehole (apart from the tourists gawping through your windows!) is the narrowness of the lanes - and today a road had been closed for works so cars were being diverted through even narrower lanes.  As this was only the third time I had driven my new car and still hadn't got a good handle on its length, width or idiosyncracies (of which there are many!), Mousehole was probably not the most ideal destination to visit.   At one point, I did consider abandoning the car in a parking space - forever - and hitching a lift back up to Bude!  Still, we made it down to the harbour - did I mention the steep lanes as well?! - much relieved, although also with a feeling of trepidation at getting the car back UP the steep narrow lanes and out to Penzance.  I need to be less anxious.





St Michaels Mount across Mounts Bay.










I love the little streets and the surprises around every corner.


This unprepossessing garage proved to be a gem.


I would love to furnish my whole house with antique chests!







I had a really lovely day although I did miss Finn - but he's been to Mousehole before anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment