Monday 4 March 2013

Dog

I like to think that my dog is the happiest and best loved dog in the world. I'm sure all dog owners feel the same. But the dog is genuinely very happy and affectionate. He loves everyone. He loves me, my family, other dogs, children, babies, joggers and even cyclists. He doesn't particularly like the postman or workmen but I suspect this is more to do with the hi vis jacket, rather than anything personal.

However, put the dog on a lead and he becomes a snarling, aggressive wolf. I'm sure it's because he's protecting me - after all, I'm on the other end of the lead. This morning, we had an episode at the vets - he bit another dog. Who was also a snarling, aggressive wolf - albeit about a third of the size of my dog. I immediately did the sensible thing and cried. The vet assured me that this is normal in his waiting room. And the owner - who I hung around afterwards to talk to - also tells me she has the same issues. She, very caringly I thought, considering my child had attacked her child, took my hand and told me not to worry and, another time, it might be the other way round. Bloody dog. Afterwards I took him over the marshes to try and run out his aggression, but, of course, off the lead, he hasn't got any. He played with all the other dogs on our walk and reverted back to the playful creature he usually is. And he's been an absolute angel all day back at home while I've been working.




The day improved considerably - I even felt like a proper craftswoman as I went to the post office to send some of my wares to West Sussex and to the shop to talk about what sort of stock is needed.


Needless to say, having managed to achieve to much since we got home, I've obviously forgiven the dog.  Until he does it the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment