Sunday 31 March 2013

Shawls

The items I most enjoy knitting are shawls.  Sometimes I get so carried away with them, that I forget to stop, so they end up being ridiculously long in relation to their width.  I think it's that, once I've mastered the pattern, I just like to keep going.  Today, I've finished two that have been sitting in my sewing basket - they are both completely different, but equally as lovely.
I think this one might be my favourite so far.  This piece of gorgeousness is made in a very VERY fine yarn and I've knitted it with a very VERY fine gold thread running alongside it.  The whole thing is so lightweight that I dug out the kitchen scales to see just how light - less than a hundred grammes!  Beautiful.  Not really big enough for a shawl - I need to play about a bit more with the stitch count - but could be worn as a jaunty tied-round-your-neck scarf.  I've a feeling it probably won't get as far as the shop - I think it might find its new home in my wardrobe! 

The second shawl is a very different item.  Made of heavyweight linen/ cotton mix yarn in a gold/ caramel colour.  Just right for cooler summer evenings ..... if we ever get a summer of course.  It's Easter Sunday today, tomorrow is 1 April, and this morning we had another sprinkling of snow.  I digress - just needed a little whinge about the weather.  The shawl is a good size too - 21 inches wide and 48 inches long.  I think I've worked out the stitch count for this one and the length is just dependent on how much I want to start a new project.   If I'm undecided about what to make next, the shawls tend to get a wee bit longer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment